Over the past 6 months I have been on this Keto journey and along the way I have attempted to find substitutes for all my favorite carb-filled foods. This includes the desserts I loved like Strawberry Shortcake. While making a Keto English Muffin Recipe, I started playing around to make it a little fluffier like a shortcake and perfected into what is now one of my favorite low carb treats, Berry Shortcake.
- 2 C chopped strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or any combination of these.
- 2 T Swerve
- ½ t Xanthum Gum
- 1T Butter
- ½ t Baking Powder
- 3T Almond Flour
- 1T Swerve
- 1 Egg
- 1T Heavy Whipping Cream
Kitchen Utensils Needed
- Measuring Spoons
- Small Wisk
- Coffee Cup
- Sauce Pan
- Hand Potato Masher
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
For me, the process of making Low Carb Berry Shortcake starts on Sunday night when I make my the ‘Jam’ for the week. This gives me plenty of time to cook the fruit down to a good consistency. Also, if I am feeling particularly frisky, I will even make a few shortcake ahead of time. This saves me a bunch of time when I want a quick treat.
- Place the chopped fruit in a sauce pan on the stove over hit Medium to High heat.
- Add Swerve
- Using the Potato Masher, start mashing the fruit.
- When the fruit turns to a chunky, yet liquidy, consistency turn the burner down to allow for the fruit to just barely simmer.
- Add ½ t Xanthum Gum and stir well
- Stir every few minutes
- Remove from stovetop when it takes on a thicker, syrupy consistency. (Typically, 30 minutes or so.)
- Place in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.
Don’t worry if you feel like the “Jam” is too liquidy. When you put it in the fridge for a night, it will start to congeal even more. Also, throwing a truth bomb here, the “shortcake” will be on the dry side. Therefore, having the jam be a little liquidy will actually help take away the dryness.
- Put butter in a coffee cup and warm for 25-30 second
- Add Baking Powder, Swerve, Almond Flour, egg and Heavy Whipping Cream.
- Mix very well
- Microwave for 90 -120 seconds.
- Remove shortcake from coffee cup and cut in half.
- Place 1T of “Jam” on each half.
- Top with 2T Whipped Cream
NOTE: Depending on your patience, you can either whip heavy whipping cream and Swerve yourself, or you can do what I do and use store-bought whipped cream. Redi-Whip brand is only one carb per two tablespoons.
If you would like to have a chocolate-y taste to your shortcake, you can add 1T of unsweetened cocoa powder. You can also drizzle some sugar free chocolate syrup on top.
Cinnamon Roll Shortcake
Another variation is to add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. This gives the shortcake a wonderful rich flavor.
Now isn’t that one of the easiest recipes ever? I hope you enjoy it. Comment below and let us know how you liked it.
Sue Nowicki is an alumna of the 2014/15 Disney Parks Moms Panel. She is a team mom extraordinaire who has filled her time serving as secretary, navigator, head cheerleader, treasurer, athletic trainer and team psychologist for her daughter’s travel sports team for over 15 years before becoming a team owner. You can follow her on Twitter at @TeamMom365.